Google PageSpeed Grade does not Improve
In most cases, WP Rocket will improve your PageSpeed grade. The extent to which it improves depends on the baseline performance of your site: the hosting, plugins you’re using, content you’ve added etc.
How can I improve Core Web Vitals?
Please see our guides:
Find your site’s baseline performance
Disable WP Rocket and run a PageSpeed test to see what your baseline scores are.
Alternatively, you can also run a test bypassing WP Rocket, by adding ?nowprocket to the URL, to find the baseline.
Then, reactivate WP Rocket and adjust the options as described below.
How WP Rocket can improve your score
Here are the specific WP Rocket features that will directly impact your score:
Caching is enabled automatically (unless your webhost is handling it) and will increase the overall score and Core Web Vitals. It also directly improves server response time.
This option is enabled by default. It ensures your mobile site is cached and all optimizations are applied there.
This is a very powerful feature which can help improve the following recommendations, and therefore have a significant impact on your score:
- Minimize main thread work
- Reduce impact of third party code
Remove Unused CSS
- Addresses: Reduce Unused CSS
- Reduces HTTP requests and overall page size
Optimize CSS Delivery
LazyLoad for images
- Addresses: Defer Offscreen images
- Addresses Preload Key Requests, for fonts hosted on your site
- Google Fonts are automatically optimized
Add Missing image dimensions
- May help with Cumulative Layout Shift
Prefetch DNS requests
- Addresses: Preconnect to required origins
- This is applied automatically on Apache servers.
- Addresses: Enable text compression
- This is applied automatically on Apache and LiteSpeed servers
- Addresses: Serve assets with an efficient cache policy
Check how if your score has improved
After activating and configuring the above options, run another PageSpeed test to see how it’s improved. Consult the detailed guides provided above to find out more.
How to optimize further
There will likely be some remaining recommendations, which cannot be fixed completely with WP Rocket. We’ve covered the most common ones in the list below:
- Properly size images
- Serve images in next-gen format
- Efficiently encode images
- Avoid enormous network payloads
- Avoid excessive DOM size
- Minimize main-thread work
- Reduce the impact of 3rd party code
Why is my mobile score is much worse than desktop?
Please see our guide: How to Improve Your Mobile PageSpeed Score
How long does it take to see the improvements?
WP Rocket's speed improvements take place immediately. The report should change in real time, after you've enabled/disabled the optimization features.
If you don't see changes right away, please check this guide, or please contact our support team.
My score isn’t high enough, can you optimize my site for me?
We don’t provide an optimization service but our support is here to help if there are specific issues using our features. Optimization is a complex task that will require some work on your part, too. In some cases you may need the help of a developer. In that case, we recommend Codeable.
Regardless of the score, WP Rocket makes the actual loading time of your page faster, improving the experience for your visitors. To get another perspective of the speed, you could use a tool like Pingom to measure the load time.