RocketCDN is WP Rocket's custom content delivery network. It is an optional, paid subscription service. Using a CDN will help improve the loading time of your website for visitors that are far away from where your server is located.
You can subscribe to the service directly from the CDN tab in WP Rocket:
When you subscribe to RocketCDN, we'll do the following:
- Automatically create your unique rocketcdn.me CNAME - contact our Support to customize this.
- Automatically configure optimal performance settings for assets served from the CDN:
- Apply GZIP compression
- Apply CORS headers for webfont compatibility
- Set a cache-control browser cache header
- Serve assets over HTTP/2
All images, JS and CSS files will automatically be served from your RocketCDN CNAME. It is not possible to use more than one CNAME with RocketCDN.
RocketCDN also provides these benefits:
- Unlimited bandwidth
- All CDN files automatically served over HTTPS
- SSL Traffic included
- All Global PoPs (Points of Presence) included
Did you really build your own CDN network from scratch?
No, RocketCDN runs through Stackpath's already established and reliable network.
So, what's the difference between RocketCDN and Stackpath?
How much does it cost?
The standard price is $7.99/month (excluding VAT) although there may be promotional pricing periods sometimes.
Can I use PayPal to purchase RocketCDN?
At the moment it is not possible to use PayPal to pay for RocketCDN. We’re considering that for the future, but we don’t have a timeframe for it at the moment.
What if I don't like it?
Can I use RocketCDN on unlimited sites?
No. Each site requires its own RocketCDN subscription.Therefore if you have a staging site and a production site, you won't be able to transfer RocketCDN between them, you should subscribe using your production site.
Can I use RocketCDN in addition to Cloudflare?
Yes, you can use RocketCDN and Cloudflare together. Cloudflare gives you a lot of different features including security features. RocketCDN will be handling the resource CDN (js, css, images) part of it.
Can I use RocketCDN and Jetpack Site Accelerator?
How to check the performance improvements of RocketCDN
When you use a CDN, it will improve performance for visitors that are located far from your servers. So the way to check the effectiveness is as follows:
- Deactivate the CDN option
- Run a few tests using GT Metrix (using a free account), Pingdom, or WebPageTest from a testing location far from your server, to get an average result.
- Reactivate the CDN option with RocketCDN
- Run several more tests using the same tool and the same server location as before and compare. It's important to run the test multiple times to ensure the files are cached on the CDN server.
- Specifically, compare the load time of the same file with and without the CDN. You should see that the file is served much faster from the CDN.
When should I purge the CDN cache?
If you have made changes to any static files without changing the filename, e.g you've replaced an image using the same filename, you should purge the RocketCDN cache:
Why isn't Rocket CDN available on local/staging?
RocketCDN requires a live website to work correctly so it's not available on local sites.
The subscription is unique to your domain - so you cannot use the same RocketCDN subscription on multiple domains. Therefore RocketCDN will not be available on the staging version of your site.
How do I cancel?
Click Manage Subscription and follow the prompts:
Note that if you cancel after the billing month has already started, you will be charged for the full month.